Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Jenn Air refrigerator model JCB2280HES not freezing food in

Customer Question

Jenn Air refrigerator model JCB2280HES not freezing food in top of freezer, only bottom.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are the packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
coils are frosted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as frosted on the bottom, but frosted solid on top. Fan is not running, but just plugged refrigerator back in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does that mean?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so that would be your problem. Make sure the fan above the coils is running and if not then replace the fan motor. If the fan is running but there is a lot of frost build up on the coils, the fan can't circulate the air properly. That means that your unit isn't defrosting properly anymore. You'll need a multimeter to determine which part has failed, but if you have a multimeter you'll need to test continuity through the defrost heater which runs along the bottom of the silver evaporator coils as well as the defrost thermostat which is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, replace it. If both parts have continuity, the display board at the top of the refrigerator has failed and isn't telling the unit to go into defrost properly because the display board is what controls the frost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I have my multimeter ready, trying to locate the parts.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK,I'm logging off for the evening but you should have all the information you need so good luck to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I hold my red and black multimeter pointers up to?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you don't know how to use your multimeter, you will need to have a technician come out.