Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool W10307054A 29 cuft side by side

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool W10307054A 29 cuft side by side refrigerator that sometimes drips water out of the icemaker, other times doesn't make ice all while building up ice above the inside of the fridge.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

This ice/frost build up occurs due to the flap inside the dispenser not sealing up properly. Now either it's always just not closing all the way and sealing up properly, or it could be intermittently getting stuck.

The model number you have listed is actually a part number and the full model is located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section. You'll need to to order the correct replacement part. You'll either need to replace the dispenser chute flap itself, or the closing mechanism if its sticking.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks like the model # ***** ***** I've attached pictures showing how good and tight the seal looks, however the ice building up overhead in the back left corner of the icemaker doesn't look right. Are you still thinking seal? What flap inside the dispenser are you referring to?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No, that's in the back, not by the door seal in the front. If ice is building up back there, your drain froze over. You'll need to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow the ceiling and drain to thaw out. Then you can plug it back in and it should be OK again.