Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE Monogram Undercounter Icemaker That started

Customer Question

I have a GE Monogram Undercounter Icemaker That started making thin ice. I ran it through the clean cycle twice only to have it stop making ice. The plate doesn't get cold. Waters and drains. Opened the back up. All kinds of corrosion near the compressor. Obviously some of the blue cleaning fluid and water leaked back there. I have repaired and replaced parts on this machine several times, but this seems super involved and expensive. Any ideas on where to go from here? How to test where the leak is coming from?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

If you have that much corrosion on the unit I would say I would not mess with it. You are dealing with a sealed system leak and this would be involved and expensive to repair. You would need gauges, freon, vacuum pump etc... to do the job. I would say you are better off scrapping the unit. IF the sealed system was contaminated by water or anything you will have additional issues as well. Those units once that far gone are better off headed to the scrap yard as they will nickel and dime you after this to death.

All I ask is please rate my service with the star rating link thanks!