Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a Monogram icemaker ZDIC 150. The red clean light was

Customer Question

Kelly, I'm Richard. I have a Monogram icemaker ZDIC 150. The red clean light was on so i followed the instructions and cleaned it and when I switched it back on it does not make ice. Reservoir fills with water but nothing after that.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. There is a 12vac pump that hangs in the water that should be circulating water over the cooling plate. Can you see frost forming on the cooling plate if you shine a light up through the cutter grid? That way we know the compressor is running. There should be air blowing out the front near the floor too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see ice forming on the plate and there is no air blowing out the front.

Can you hear anything running? When it is in a freeze cycle there should be a pump a fan and the compressor all running at the same time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I can hear is a humming noise.

Ah, I wonder if you have the auxiliary drain pump in the back? Do you know if you have a gravity drain or a drain pump it drains into? You will need to pull it out to tell. If there is a drain pump the icemaker plugs into the side of the pump and then the pump cord plugs into the wall. If the pump is draining slowly it shuts off the icemaker power. Look for a kinked drain hose or a clog.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just taken the front lower panel off and cleaned the fins of the compressor, I have checked for any kinks pipes and there are none. I switched back on and I now have air blowing out near the floor and it sounds as if the compressor is working whcih it did not appear to be doing before.

Is water circulating now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to be

I suspect it will work now. I think you have a drain pump in the back. After a clean cycle there is a lot of water drained and flushed and if the pump is slow it will get overwhelmed and shuts off the icemaker until it catches up and lowers the water level.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know tomorrow.

Okay, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still not getting ice. It appears that no water is being circulated over the plate. The water reservoir is full and it empties and then refills but no ice is being made.

Do you have lights on the control or does it go dead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just have the green light showing it is on.

Okay then what I said about a drain pump does not apply. If it fill bit does not circulate the water it should be a drain pump problem but in that case the cooling plate should start to get frost after 10 minutes of run time and the compressor and fan underneath would be running. Earlier you stated you got no frost and no fan running after the water comes in. Is this still the case? Keep in mind when you first turn it on it will fill and drain a few times to go through a flush cycle before it starts to freeze.

How is it going? Do you have an update?