Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have RF217ACPN refrigerator. compressor seems to be

Customer Question

I have RF217ACPN refrigerator. compressor seems to be working and the fan near the compress is working, but the fans inside the refrigerator are not working and it is not cooling at all. I have checked the compressor and that is find.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the compressor with multi meter that seems to be working fine. My ice maker is broken. I wanted to know is there any sensor that could be causing the fan both on the top and the bottom to be not working. The fan close to the compressor is working and the main control board seems to be working with one click. I checked the capacitor on the main board that seems to be working.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, no sensor would cause both not to work, further are you getting any error codes on the machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting error codes. Can you let me know which bottons to press just to make sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried power and power cool for 8 seconds, but not code it just shuts off for min and restarts.

I would say the control board is bad then, if you are not getting any error codes and neither fan work the board would make the most sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you email me the the part number so I can confirm that we are on the right part,
main control board DA41-00695A and the upper electronic control board is DA41-00635A. can you confirm which
one it is.

The DA41-00695A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ice maker is broken, I have disconnect the wires of the ice maker. Would that have any effect? I have also connected
the wires and there is also a sensor that goes there that I also tried to connect? I will not use the ice maker, because this refrigerator has design failure on that. Should I buy new ice maker also or should I go ahead and order the main board DA41-00695A. I don't know if the ice maker has anything to do with the fan inside the refrigerator not working.

The icemaker can stop things from working but unless you are getting an error for the icemaker it should not stop the unit from cooling at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ordered the board, soon as I install it. I will let you know. Thanks!

Ok great

We are on the honor system for our time so all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page. That will allow you to get back to me directly for FREE followup questions anytime thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you wait few more days, I will get the part in tomorrow sep 3

Yes for sure!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed the main control board, It is doing the same thing, no fans are working. no air blowing.

Can you remove the fans in the unit and test them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that and let you know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What voltage should I read on the fan. Shoud it be 12V DC.

It should be 12 volts...what color wires do you have to the fans?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Colors are black red and white on the wires of the fan. I see both fans are not working. I have not tested the fan yet. Could the problem be the temperature control panel on the top the the refrigeration, because it is hard to believe that both fans are not working on the refirgerator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the resistance after removing the fan on black and red wire. there is resistance. Let me know what you would like me to do. Thanks,

Do you have a 9 volt battery? If so connect the RED wire to the positive terminal on the battery and the WHITE wire to the negative terminal does the fan run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried Red to the positive and white to the negative. It does not work.I tried red to positive and black to negative the fan does work with 9v battery. Both of the fan work. I have noticed the filter drier small diameter wire is broken on one side not the compressor side but the other side which goes inside the refrigerator would that cause the fan not to work? Is the freon leaked out ? I checked the compressor it has resistance on the 3 pins.

Ok so the fans are good. Does the compressor run when the unit is plugged in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compressor does run. I can hear the hum sound. I have tested the resistance of the 3 pin. It seems like it works, but the filter drier one side is broken would that cause the sensor to not get cold and not give the signal to the main board to turn on the fans. It seems like fans are not getting signal to turn on. Below is the pics of the filter direr one side broken.

Oh yes, that is the capillary tube that the liquid freon runs through, with that broken the system has no freon and will not work at all. It looks like it has been cut.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I change the capillary tube. What kind of freon I can add? Can you guide me? Is that the cause why the fans are not working? Is there any any step by step instructions which freon to add and how to weld togather this piece. I thought this was called filter drier? I have EPA type 1 license. I can do it my myself, but I just took the test never repaired refrigerator. Do you have instruction how to do it. What part do I need to order can you let me know so I can order it?

Watch this video, you will need a brazing torch, scale, freon, vacuum pump, access valve and gauges to do this whole job.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE FOR PART

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Below is what I ordered. Did i order the wrong part, should I cancel the order, what I see is your part is different with two sides. What type of freon should I use?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DNSHBI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

The one you ordered is correct, I was just giving you one with an access valve on it....Just keep the one you ordered. That is right.

You need to use R134A for freon. All I ask is please rate my service so I am credited for my time thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, I canceled it and ordered the one you requested. It has extra side to add freon to the system and makes it easier it this is what I an understanding correctly? Is it possible you can stay with me until I add the freon and get the part to make sure it works. Thanks,

Yes after a rating you can continue with me forever basically for FREE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many cans do I need of freon. What is the correct amount? I have friend who does residential AC will be adding the freon. I want to buy the correct amount of the freon for him, before he comes to the house.

The system only takes about 5oz....look on the tag in the unit it will show you the number of Ounces...but it should be about 5-5.5 typically on that unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the tag on the unit located? that says amount of the freon needed.

On the model tag in the refrigerator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I get charge for $28 for every question I am asking you. I thought $28 is for unlimited questions on the same topic? Can you please confirm?

Yes it is but I still have not been paid anything, you need to rate my service and then you will not get asked for anything more to come back to me. Use the star rating link to do this as I receive nothing otherwise, I only get a small portion of whatever you paid and that only happens after a rating is given, then you can come back to me anytime for FREE HERE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I only get charged $28 only. Do I rate you for every question that you answered. Can you specific answer how do I get charged only $28, because this is only one question that I have been solving with you?

Just rate this answer...that is it..one charge only you then credit me and can come back here anytime to me for FREE without asking for another charge...So just use the STAR link on your page and select 5 stars:) for me and then just come back to me anytime whenever on this issue.