Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have defrost problem in my GE refrigerator (Model No.

Customer Question

I have defrost problem in my GE refrigerator (Model No. GSS25jfmd cc). I replaced the defrost heater and the thermostat, but it doesn't work. Will it a problem with the mother board and how can I know for sure before I buy a new one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The control board rarely if ever fails---it sounds like your thermistor sensor has likely failed. If you really wanted to test the the sensor, look for the white plastic bullet at the top of the silver evaporator coils with 2 small wires going to it. You'd need to cut the wires going to the sensor and then put the sensor in ice water for 5 minutes. The resistance should be right around 16.3 kΩ. If not then the sensor would need to be replaced.

If for some reason the sensor checks good---replace the control board.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the thermistor the same as the thermostat? I just placed a new one. How to check the16.3 Ohm resistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This computer is very slow. Can I use another computer to chat with you? How can I connect to you with another computer?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The thermistor is not the same as the thermostat. The thermostat is a 1" round device---the thermistor is a 1" white plastic bullet device. But to check resistance, you'd need a multimeter. Below is a link to the thermistor

CLICK HERE for thermistor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me find it. I have a Ohmmeter. Could you tell me how to check it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You have to cut the wires, then you have to turn your multimeter to a resistance setting but I don't know what that is on your multimeter. Then you need to strip the wires back on the sensor and place one lead on one wire and the other lead on the other wire coming from the sensor to check the resistance through the sensor.

But again, the part is only about $10 so I don't even think it's worth testing---just order and replace it and if you still have an issue then replace the control board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are right. I will go to buy one tomorrow. May I get your help more if I still have problems after I get a new thermistor? What time you will be available?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing. I'm usually around on and off all day long depending on if I'm out running a call or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Tyler, Thank you for your advise. I found the thermistor and cut it off from the wire. I checked the resistance and the reading is from 16.28 to 16.67K in ice water. Do you think I still need to replace it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No that sounds like it's within range so if that's the case then you need to replace the main control board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any way to confirm it is the main board problem before I but it since it a expensive part?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can test continuity through the heater and through the defrost thermostat when the thermostat is clipped onto the coil and the coil has been frosted for at least 15 minutes. If both of those check good and the thermistor checks good---the control board is the only thing left and that part itself can't be tested.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?