Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a powder residue from the freezer. When ice cubes

Customer Question

I have a white powder residue from the freezer. When ice cubes melt it causes stuff to float in the water. When all is melted, I see a 1/2 tsp of white substance in the bottom of the glass. If I drink water from the refrigerator water tap all is very clear, no residue on bottom of glass. If I freeze water from this tap in a cup, the ice is clear. Is my Ice cube maker causing this problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

What you are seeing is calcium in the water ,the reason you only see it in the ice is because of two reasons.

When the water freezes into ice the calcium chemical state when it changes from a liquid to a solid, the calcium is now hard and can be seen.

The second reason is because the icemaker mold has accumulated a large amount of this hard calcium.

You will not be able to stop it from happening unless you get a reverse osmosis water filter system, (they remove all minerals from the water) but they are expensive.

So the cheaper way to help you is to #1 replace all the water tubing from the refrigerator water inlet valve to the icemaker

Here that part is .

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Supply-Tube/5210JA3005E/1268071?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=5210ja3005g?rcaid=1000070

#2 is to replace the icemaker, here that is .

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/4681JA1006D/1267562?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=4681ja1006k?rcaid=1000070

These parts on this product is not something I recommend a home owner replace unless you are very handy / mechanical.

And now the bad part how ever old the refrigerator is ,is just how long this replacing the parts will fix the issue,because you have not done anything to the water quality coming into the unit .