Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool duet washer F20 washer inlet problem - strainer is

Customer Question

whirlpool duet washer F20 washer inlet problem - strainer is clean wtr press ok -whats wrong ???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Whirlpool uses a flow meter that detects the flow of water entering the washer. If this flow meter does not detect the correct amount of water entering the washer it will sound the F20 error code. Often this repair can be made with out calling an appliance repairman and without ordering parts. Start by removing the washer fill hoses; both the cold and the hot water hoses. Check for proper water pressure from the house. To do so, turn the water on and put the hose inside the washer or a bucket.

You will need to watch the washer a bit more closely to determine exactly what is happening. Watch it through an entire cycle and start timing the washer when it begins to fill. Watch the fill cycles and if the error comes up when the washer hasn't filled for at least 5 minutes, then you need a new flow meter. If the error occurs when the washer has been filling for 5 minutes, then it's timing out and telling you that the water is coming in too slow and it's not at the appropriate level (which it's not). So you'll need to make sure your water pressure is good on both the hold and cold water lines. If your fill hoses are flood safe hoses, I might change them out with standard rubber hoses because with new valves they can trigger the flood safe feature and stop the water flow even though there is no flood. Below is a link the flow meter if you need it. It's mounted behind the dispenser below the top panel.

CLICK HERE for flow meter

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?