Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE microwave PEM31SM3SS made in February 2011.

Customer Question

I have a GE microwave PEM31SM3SS made in February 2011. After I bought it, I accidentally burned it out. I have stared at it for a year. I understood from GE it would be irreparable. Is this so? If it is possible to have it repaired even at great expense, I would consider this as I only had use of the device for less than a year, and hopefully a repair will cost somewhat less than a new one. Also, is there a replacement model for the one I have? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what is the unit not doing or what does it do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all. I burned it out. I was advised to pull out plug and put in again. The unit does nothing. Again. It does not operate. It does not respond to anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to seem short, but Just Answer system is frustrating. I want to know if anything, even at great expense is worth investing in the unit before planning to buy a new one. Even replacing the entire operating system.

OK if nothing comes on at all, you may have just blown the internal fuse. Yes it is worth getting repaired for sure and it should not be that much to fix.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the issue turns out to be the internal fuse, then this is encouraging. I would want to remove it for testing, and buy a new unit if the problem is that simple. I spoke with GE, downloaded the manual, spoke with folks at a parts surface who sent me a diagram with what appears to be the fuse highlighted at the back of the microwave. Two problems: after fully a year of inoperation, can there be a heavy charge of electricity still in the machine that is dangerous; I removed rear screws, but see no way to remove the rear panel. If there is no danger of electrocution, can I simply pull the side panels apart to remove the back? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call at early convenience. Thanks.

Yes after sitting that long, there is no danger of being shocked for sure.

So just remove the panels to get at it.