Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a built in side by side kitchen aid approx 6 years

Customer Question

I have a built in side by side kitchen aid approx 6 years old. compressor on top. I don't have the model number with me. The unit was in great working order before we shut it down for six months while we did a remodel. I started it up last week and it wouldn't cool. The interior panel inside the refrigerator is flashing and the red light is flashing over tempature. When you push reset it buzzes then just continues to flash.
The repair man said it was the computer board so i had him rebuild it but when the new rebuilt board went in it didn't fix the problem. It sounds like everything is working but the unit will not cool. The repair man said there was a problem with ice maker motor as well which was working prior to shutting it down. Not sure i have the right repairman?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

And this repair mans said he rebuilt the control board or that he sent it out to be rebuilt?

Or that he just replaced the control board?

And can you tell me if the Condensing fan or even the compressor are running?

and with out a model number I`m not able to get into any specific checks or test.

I would need the model number from inside the freezer compartment ,normally the interior right wall just below the icemaker.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kssc42qts02
The board was sent out for rebuild waited about a week
Sounds like everything is running properly but not cooling
Repair man said the ice maker motor is not working either but was working before we shut it done for the remodel

Thank you for the Model number.

#1 if the unit is not cooling the icemaker will not run ,it cycle by temperature if it is not cooling it will not cycle.

And can you give me more then just it sounds like things are running!

Is the Compressor and the Condensing fan up top working at all?

And do you have a volt -ohm meter and know how to use it do be able to do any checks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The technician came out again yesterday and said that it sounds as if the compressor and condensing fan are working properly. He is suggesting that since the unit had been sitting for 9 months that the coolant may have leaked out. He said he could flush the coolant system and replenish the coolant and add a stop leak as a first option. ($500) If that doesn't work then he said he may have to replace the coil and some filter that is located at the top of the unit near the compressor it looks like a copper test tube. ( $500) and as the last resort replace compressor/condensor ($1500)
I don't have a voltmeter nor do i know how to use it.
Do these sound like logical steps for the repair?

ok if they are going to to flush the system and replace the refrigerant ,, I would hopefully think they would replace the filter dryer any time the sealed system is worked on.

And yes if the compressor is running and the condenser fan is also running I to would have to assume that the unit has a sealed refrigerant issue also .

Make sure that they also check the drain pan heater under the unit,, they are well known for getting leaks in them.