Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a NewAir AC-14100 unit that has worked perfectly

Customer Question

We have a NewAir AC-14100 unit that has worked perfectly for the past 3 months until today. For the first time, we had to empty the water collection tank this afternoon. Since then we've had to empty it 4 more times in the past 10 hours. Do you have any idea why this might be happening and what we can do to fix it? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The only way the tank will fill is by the condensation from the evaporator. If it is real humid where you are right now, that would be why you are having to drain it more often. As they remove the heat, they also remove the moisture from the air.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that but we're in Boston and it hasn't had to be emptied for the last three months. Does it make sense that it would need to be emptied five times in one afternoon/evening after not needing to be emptied for the previous three months? It's not as though it was that much more humid yesterday than it had been for the rest of the summer. Is it possible that the evaproator isn't working anymore? We needed to empty it about every two hours or less and we were getting tons of water each time!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Well, it would not cool if it was not working. Is the exhaust still blowing good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is. I guess we'll just see how it does over the next couple of days.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It is quite odd, I agree. It should not produce any more condensation than it has unless the humidity or air flow has changed dramatically.