Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Gold GZ25FSRXYY7 Refrigerator that I

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Gold GZ25FSRXYY7 Refrigerator that I purchased used. The person that I purchased it from said that it was not cooling and the repair man told them the system needed vaced, flushed and refilled. Initially I refilled and the compressor was short cycling. (turning on for 30 seconds and then turning off) I had another project to work on so I left it for a few days. I returned, vac the system, refilled and the compressor worked perfectly. The pressures were correct and the fridge cooled down to the proper temp.
I opened the doors to put in the drawer parts, moved it a couple feet to get better access and when the compressor kicked on again it was short cycling again. Checked the pressures and the high side was reading the same as the low side. (About 3 psi) The compressor is not pumping, it just runs for 20-30 seconds and kicks off. I don't think I could have had all that pressure leak off and it was still holding 3 psi which is what it would go down to when the compressor was off.
My question could this be do to the power control board, the defroster censor, the main board. I have checked the wiring harnesses and it looks like the one to the compressor has been altered but the strange thing is it worked perfectly for 14 hours.
One thought that I was considering was when I opened the freezer door for a few minutes, the defrost censor got messed up.
I am looking for someone with years of experience so I don't just keep replacing parts.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the compressor is short cycling, the issue is that either the piston inside the compressor is seizing up and sometimes breaks free and works again until it seizes up, or the overload relay clipped onto the side of the compressor is weak and cutting the compressor out early. You really can't test for either issue to know for certain, but if you get a new compressor it will come with a new overload relay although that is a very expensive repair. The other option is to replace the overload relay and see where you stand. If you still have issues then you know you need a new compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tyler,
I was pulled away on other projects. I got the compressor replaced and fixed a freon leak. However the evaporator fan is not running. It is not getting power. I tested the fan off the machine and it works. I tested the wires to the fan and they are conductive. However, I am not getting 12v to the fan. I have a green black going to my power supply and white orange going to my control board. If there a way to test if it is the control board or the power supply?
Thanks
Patrick