Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher. When I try to start I press

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher. When I try to start I press the normal and start buttons but the start button flashes three times.
When I press the hi temp and heat dry buttons twice the unit reboots and then works properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you have a failing touch pad. The touch pad is sensing a stuck or shorted key. It's a fairly common issue on these units. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this issue is to replace the touch pad assembly. If you're handy, you can make the repair yourself. You can get the part from any local appliance parts house or sears parts.

We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ordered the part that you mentioned in your reply. Waiting for part to come in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Received the touch pad part, by the way my Whirlpool Model# ***** ***** When I pulled the flat ribbon cable I did not notice that there is an extra pin on the control panel. Checked the old unit and it also has one less connector socket for the pins. Unfortunately, the cable or pin connector does not have a preventive for putting in cable wrong. Do I skip the top or the bottom pin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a preventive measure so that you cannot plug in wrong. Please cancel call. Thank you.Frank krzywda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replace the touch pad assembly. Still have exactly the same problem.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Do you still need assistance on your issue?