Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE frig that is freezing produce in the bottom

Customer Question

I have a GE frig that is freezing produce in the bottom drawer. I moved into this house a year ago. The freezer fan was making a really loud noise, I had a sears repair person come look at it and he adjusted the fan, which seems to be working fine. I also looked at the tubing in the frig compartment and the insulation is installed correctly. Also the water dispensor is sometimes not producing water. Is this a damper issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if that is happening the damper is likely broken, that was very common to happen on that model and I believe that is the whole issue. That will cause both issues you are having and you can replace it with this part CLICK HERE

All I ask is please rate my service before leaving thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the Thermistor be faulty as well? Or does it just make the most sense to replace the damper?

The thermisters rarely fail, just replace the damper as that fails all the time on that model. Please do not forget to rate my service thanks as we are on the honor system for credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the damper and the bottom drawer of the frig is still freezing produce. Any other thoughts?

Nothing else is freezing in the unit correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. The bottom drawer mostly. The second drawer has some freezing of produce on the bottom and towards the back. The freezer stopped working the day we replaced the damper but now it seems to be working fine.

Have you tried to set the temp up a little to 40 and see what happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that this morning. I'll check in 24 hours and see if it helps.

OK keep me posted please I want to get this issue resolved for you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it make sense to just replace the thermistors? I'm close to just getting a new frig if I can't get it to work. :/

You can try a new thermistor if you would like to they are inexpensive and it is worth a try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a link to purchase them? I'm assuming I would replace both that are on the frig side. Any hints or suggestions on how to replace them? I watched a good video for the damper but haven't been able to find anything regarding the thermistors.

CLICK HERE THEY ARE THE SAME FOR THE WHOLE UNIT