Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I'm trying to troubleshoot dryer components. How do i

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to troubleshoot dryer components. How do i test for voltage on thermostat using multimeter. I will send a link of my multimeter.

http://imgur.com/b5Q3VlH

Category: Appliance
Expert:  urelectrician replied 1 year ago.

Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Shown are the steps below to test a thermostat using a multimeter. Please note that this test will test for continuity (resistance) of the thermostat and not for voltage. This is the standard test for testing a T-Stat.

A) Unplug your dryer or turn off power source to avoid risk of electrical shock.

B) Remove the thermostat from the dryer.

C) Set your multimeter to the lowest setting for Ohms of resistance. When using an analog multimeter, calibrate the meter by holding the probes together while adjusting the needle to read 0 (zero).

D) Touch one meter probe to one thermostat terminal, while you touch the other probe to the other terminal.

E) If the multimeter shows a reading of 0 (zero) ohms of resistance, then the thermostat is good.

F) If there is little or no change in the multimeter resistance reading, then the thermostat is defective and needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had checked thermal fuse, flame sensor, 3 thermostats and igniter for continuity and all were good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dryer tech told me to run the dryer and check for voltage while on

OK, very good. Thanks for the replies.

I will opt out of the question as I am an electrician and not an appliance expert. I will send your question over to the appliance experts and they can better assist you.

No need to reply back. You will be notified once an appliance expert picks up your question.

Thanks............Kevin!
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. If testing a thermostat with voltage you would set the meter for the highest possible voltage you could see, usually 240vac. Put one meter lead on each terminal and run the dryer in a heat setting. If the thermostat is open you would read full voltage, when it closes you get no reading. What is the dryer problem because if the thermostat is not the problem knowing this won't help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The actual problem is that it will not heat. I tested thermal fuse, 3)thermostats, igniter, flame sensor and all have continuity. I was told to test for voltage on thermostats

Okay, on a gas dryer you should first check to see if you have 120vac on the two wires coming to the gas burner you know the problem is in the burner. Thest while the dryer is running in a heat cycle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://imgur.com/DcWb5lF

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

From the picture, what two wires do i test while dryer is on

I couldn't access that link. Do you have a model number and brand? Mot gas dryers only have two wires coming to the burner assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to send another link. Please let me know what I should touch with my multimeter leads while machine is running. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://imgur.com/biRWK1P

Okay, that one I can see. The connection you have apart is the one for the igniter but where you need to check for voltage is off the picture to the right. It should be where the single blue and white wires come to the burner. if you move away from the burner coil wires off to the left is there a connector where the two wires from the dryer get to the blue, white and black wires we see in the picture on the right side? That is where to test for 120vac on the wires coming from the dryer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The blue and white that connects to the coils

Right, That is the power supply from the dryer to the burner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got you. What's my reading suppose to be

With the dryer running in a heat mode you should get 120 volts AC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To make sure I was measuring the right voltage I tested the wall plug and get 120v. I don't get any reading from either coil. I tested the one with two wires and the one with 3

Was that on the two wires that come to the coils before the wires join together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the ones that actually connect to the coils

If this is the same connection where the supply wires come to the burner we need to check back until we find the problem. The burner is not the problem. I need the model number so I can get the wining diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AGD4475TQ1

Okay, go to the thermal cutoff on the heater duct and check from each of the wires to a bare metal ground like the metal heater duct. With it running again look for 120 vac. This is to see if power is coming from the timer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I checked the 2 blue wires that connect to the thermal fuse and does not give me 120V

We need to work away from the thermal fuse towards the timer but I want to be sure how you are using the meter. Did you put one meter lead on the metal frame of the heater box or a bare screw head and the other one at a time on the thermal fuse wires while the dryer was running in a heat setting? If so, do the same thing at the red and red striped wires at the thermostats and thermal cut off on the heater box. find where the first place you get 120 volts ac. the first place where you only get voltage on one side of a component will be the bad part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't seem to find the other place that reads 120v. Everything seems to be giving me an average of 40. How would I test my power cord?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

From the wall to where the white and black wires of the power cord meet to the harness is the only place where I find 120V. So it's not the cord

Okay, you have a bad timer. If there was no power on the red wire that comes out of the timer you wont have any heat. Red to a white or red to a bare metal ground while it is running there needs to be 120 vac on the red wire. No 120vac and the timer is the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. I just ordered a timer. I will let you know how it all turns out. I really do appreciate your knowledge and patience

Glad to help. Sorry for the gaps in between. Our time at the computer didn't alway match.