Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

How do you unlock the range door after the self cleaning

Customer Question

How do you unlock the range door after the self cleaning function has completed and the oven is now cold? The red light which indicates the self cleaning function is sill on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, how long has the oven been out of self clean for in hours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I engaged the self cleaning function on Saturday, it has been 21 hours from the time it ended.

OK then the cool down sensor or thermostat has failed to tell the control to open or the door latch motor may have failed due to the high temps. This often happens as the unit bypasses all thermostat limits to allow the oven to run to 1000+ degrees. When that happens the excessive heat can damage sensors and the latch , which are unfortunately fairly common. You would need to manually open the unit when this happens and test the latch motor and check the latch motor switches first to see if that is the issue. Now before you try anything, shut the power down to the unit for 1 full minute. Sometimes..hopefully the computer will restart and you may get luck and it will open. If not you need to get a piece of stiff flexible material like plastic or a thin piece or metal and get it in between the door and frame and slide it to the left or the right, when you feel you have reached the hook push it to the right first and try to open it then go to the left if that does not work. Then you should be able to remove the latch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found the lock in the door but can not move it . I pushed on it in both directions but it will not disengage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried turning the power for 10 minutes but when I turned the power back on it remained locked.

Ok do you have the complete model off the unit tag?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Whirlpool Imperial Series, I could not locate the model number. The stove is about 15 Years old.

OK there is a chance your door latch is behind the unit, which would be a good thing, can you slide the unit out and remove the back panel on the stove?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed a cover panel from the back of the stove and all I can see is the main set of wiring for the unit, more screws in what appears to be the back panel of the stove, but it appears to be more complex than my skills. Do I contact a repair man to come out and fix the stove.

Yes you may have to contact a repairman to fix it if the door latch is not behind the unit. If you can take a picture of the back of the unit with the panel off and upload it I can tell you for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not take a picture and upload to you, sorry. Thanks for trying.

Ok no problem, all I ask is please rate my service thanks!