Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Kenmore he2 plus that has been knocking lately

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I have a Kenmore he2 plus that has been knocking lately during the spin cycle. I looked and there is some hard gasket material in the collection ring under the rubber seal boot. I appears the plastice outter gasket material has discentigrated. Is it worth repairing....washer is around 2004 vintate.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

The banging is a sign of the rear bearing going out.

How handy are you ?

To replace the rear halve of the outer tub will require the unit to totally disassembled and be several hundreds of dollars .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very handy and have had this unit apart before, we have replaced the machine now but want to fix this one to use out at our summer cabin. That gasket from the front end, is that replaceable as well?

if you are talking about the rubber boot /gasket on the front of the drum ,yes it is replaceable.

But if you are saying that this material you are finding is a hard plastic that would mean that the inner tub has loosened and it allowing to hit the outer tub as it spins and that would mean the rear tub bearing is going bad and that the front have of the outer tub has been getting rubbed on by the metal inner tub.

Depending upon how bad it has rubbed depends upon if the front have of the outer tub will need to be replaced

If you open the door grab the inner tub can you move it up and down and front to back with out the outer tub moving?