Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have a GE Fridge model GDL20KCSCBS, FREEZER on bottom keeps

Customer Question

Have a GE Fridge model GDL20KCSCBS , FREEZER on bottom keeps freezing up and heater and defrost t-stat test out good with meter...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There is a defrost thermistor which usually fails causing your problems, the board rarely is the culprit. Clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils is a little white plastic bullet with 2 small white wires going to it. This is your defrost thermistor. If you cut the wires you can put the thermistor in a glass of ice water and it should have a resistance of 16.3 kOhms after about 5 minutes. If not, then the thermistor needs to be replaced---otherwise replace the control board. The thermistor is part number WR55X10025.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k, well try.. also does the Heater suppose to be OHMED AT 32.4?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Right around there, yes. But in reality as long as you don't get something below 2 ohms or above 100 ohms then it would work fine.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?