Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 2010 LG refrigerator model # LDC22720ST with a

Customer Question

I have a 2010 LG refrigerator model # ***** with a bottom mount freezer and icemaker (no external water/ice dispenser). There is significant frost behind the freezer drawers and the icemaker works only intermittently. The arm must be closed manually after ice is dispensed. I cannot find the temperature gauge to check nor can I move the refrigerator to check coils, dust, etc. Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The icemaker only works intermittently because the temperature inside the freezer is warming up and the icemaker shuts off if it's not cold enough. The frost build up behind the freezer drawer is the key to your problems. It sounds like your unit is not defrosting on it's own. You'll need to remove the back panel inside the freezer and use a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat. The thermostat is a 1" round device with 2 wires going to it clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. If you don't have continuity through the heater or the thermostat, you'll need to replace the part. If both parts have continuity, you'll need to order and replace the main control board behind the refrigerator because that is what controls the defrost cycle.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?