Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE Profile Series 30 inch downdraft electric

Customer Question

HI! I have a GE Profile Series 30 inch downdraft electric cooktop. Model# *****
The stove top lights come on when I turn the knobs but the burner units do not turn red(light up) or heat up. The vent also works. The stove top was functioning fine just last night. There has been "trauma" to it since it was last used. It is a fairly new unit.(Maybe 1 1/2- 2 years old.) i checked the circuit breaker which was fine and also reset the breaker to "re-boot' the cook top. i have a feeling that it is something very simple.. The manual says to check the power source but it seems to me that it is getting power if the fan is working and the lights to the stove top (not the units) are working? Any ideas? I'M HUNGRY!!! :-) Thanks for your help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it sounds like you may have lost one leg of the 240 volt supply. When that happens the lights and even fan will work but the unit will not heat. Check the wiring from the power source to the unit at the terminal block for a bad or burned wire and verify you actually have 240 volts to the unit with a meter, this is more than likely a power issue at the unit from the power source.

All I ask is please rate my service thanks!