Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Maytag dryer Model: PYE2300AYW My problem seems to

Customer Question

I have a Maytag dryer Model: PYE2300AYW My problem seems to be that the Maytag Dryer Idler Assembly 53-2287 rod falls off in cycle. It seems to not be secure. I thought my problem was a bad motor so I replaced it as well as the broken blower wheel. I put the dryer back together and it did not spin. When I took it apart the idler assembly was in the down position and the rod came out of the rear of the blower assembly where it slides into the hole. I thought it may have been the spring at first but it is apparent that maybe I am missing some sort of clamp. please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There is a push nut, shown as number 26 in the diagram at the link below, that keeps the idler pulley on the arm. It is part number 25-7957 if it is missing.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly thanks for your response. The problem is not to push nut on the pulley as the pulley stays on the rod. The problem is that the rod comes out of the assembly when the tumbler starts. Somehow I need to secure the long part of the rod where it goes into the blower assembly and underneath the motor. when I started the dryer it automatically popped out. As i unassembled the dryer I noticed that the rod was out of the assembly.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The spring should keep it in place. Is the spring attached as in the picture at the link below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the spring is on the rod like it is on the picture. Does the other end of the spring attach to the open slit on the bottom of the dryer? Or should there be an actual hook that it attaches to?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I hooks to the motor bracket, there is a small hole.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you happen to have a photo of that
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I am incorrect, I just looked on my own dryer. That model does go into the base of the machine, see the picture below. Sorry for the misinformation.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah so I'm not really sure if the problem is the spring because I think I have that in correctly and I believe the spring has enough torque on it and the clip seems to be in fairly decent condition. The problem seems to be that the long part of the rod which goes through a hole in the motor housing and then into a hole in the rear of the blower assembly seems to be loose when it is installed. I was just wondering if there's some type of clamp that secures it in place because otherwise it seems that the spring is the only thing that keeps it in place.tks
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you have the belt routed correctly? The belt tension and that spring should take all the play out of the idler assembly. See diagram F at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok when I took it on it is on correctly and then when I tried to manually spin the drum the spring pops out on the rod pops out of it's assembly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rod rests on a straight screw and I am wondering if that may have snapped off and the end Here is a picture with a circle over the area I am talking about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so I got it running but now it makes a noise as a tumbles around and it seems to be overheating.now I did put in new motor in as I thought that may have been the initial problem. So now I'm really confused
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If it is overheating, check the blower wheel to be sure it not spinning freely on the motor shaft and that the vent line is clean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check again when I return from vacation
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, enjoy your vacation!