Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our sub zero is approximately 16 years old. There is a 4

Customer Question

Our sub zero is approximately 16 years old. There is a 4 inch block of ice that has formed at the back of the fridge at the mid shelf level. Sometimes it looks like built up frost. Eventually it will melt and flow out the bottom on the floor. What should we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

This frost builds up when the evaporator is overfrosting. Now you can either turn the unit off for 24 hours and make sure all the frost even behind the back panel inside the refrigerator thaws out and see if it comes back, or the other option is to call a technician out to check the freon pressure because this model is known for having a freon leak which will cause the evaporator behind the back panel inside the refrigerator to overfrost on part of the coil but have no frost on other parts of the coil. That would require a technician to recharge the system and repair the leak if that is the case.

Otherwise, if the issue isn't caused by low freon, it's due to the door being left cracked open too long causing too much moisture to enter the unit. Eventually it reaches a tipping point where it can't work properly again without manually defrosting the unit by shutting it down.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?