Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

On a GE garbage disposal has stopped, need to reset GFC530F

Customer Question

on a GE garbage disposal has stopped, need to reset GFC530F
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you hear it humming or anything when you try to run it or is it 100% silent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
humming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing caught, turn switch on and it hums
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i reset!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There is no reset if the unit is humming. There is a red button near the bottom to reset the disposal, but that only resets the power to the motor if it's not humming. If it's humming, then either your motor has failed or something is still jammed in the disposal. Look under the disposal and you'll see a hole in the very center of the bottom plate below the disposal. This hole is used to break the motor free if it's jammed. Use an allen wrench and twist inside this hole to force the motor one direction or the other to break it free if it's jammed. If you break it free and it still won't run, it's time for a new disposal because your motor has failed.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked the bottom of the disposal and tried to use an allen wrtench, shows a black/red button, should I force it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Please re-read my answer. The button has nothing to do with your problem as I said before.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I see you requested a phone call but your payment has apparently failed for some reason so it won't allow me to call you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I try again with the allen wrench, it was working yesterday, dont want to damage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never mind, this is the way the morning has been
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The allen wrench is the only chance you have of getting it to work again. So yes, I would try until you break the motor free. If it still won't work, then you'd need a new disposal.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?