Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a year old whirlpool wash and i can't find a model,

Customer Question

I have a year old whirlpool wash and i can't find a model for you, but when you push the start button, the lid locks tthe far left green light comes on it clicks a few more times with no water entering the tub and then shuts off. what is wrong? my email is***@******.***
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So I just want to start by saying that if the washer is less than a year old, I would call warranty because this isn't a problem you can reset on these newer top load units. If I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing or possibly your drain pump being clogged up. Both the drain pump and the actuator motor are located below the tub and if you're wondering, the actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor. You'll want to first check the drain pump so unplug the washer and tip the unit backwards a bit so you can get underneath. Follow the drain hose to locate the drain pump under the tub and you'll want to remove as much water out of the tub as you can because whatever is left inside will come pouring out once you remove the drain pump. Have a wet vac or lots of towels ready to soak up the water that comes out. Check for a blockage and remove anything inside the pump that you find. Put everything back together and try the washer again. If you still get the same problem, onto the actuator we go.

To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE

for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1/2 second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tyler, yes I received a code of "fill and spin" and then "done" What does this tell you. Aaron
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That's a "stuck key" error which means you may have held the start button too long trying to get the lights to turn off. You'll need to turn the dial clockwise one click to see what the next error is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tyler, this time I got a "fill, rinse,and done" then for the second one I just received just done.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK that is a lid switch fault so it sounds like your lid switch has failed. Turn the knob until all the lights are illuminated then press and hold the start button to reset the error codes. Try to start a new cycle and when the lid light starts to flash again, pull up the new error code and if it's the same, replace the lid latch assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tyler it was the same code again. Can you tell me the number on that latch assembly and where do I order it. That was really great help. how do I send the remainder of your fee? Aaron
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Below is a link to your latch and a video that shows you how to replace it at the bottom.

CLICK HERE for video

Once you rate my service you'll all be set as far as the remainder of the fee goes.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There are faces or stars which you click on to rate me to end this conversation for now.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?