Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years exp. repairing all types of home appliances, Computer repair
11519491

Kitchen aid undercounter ice maker- it's been cleaned

Customer Question

Kitchen aid undercounter ice maker- it's been cleaned however two days later and very little ice is being made. Ice made is soft. Water runs a lot. Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tech Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.

Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.

How old is your ice maker?

Also did this happen just after cleaning?

Thank you

Tech Michael

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Machine was manufactured in '02.
Yes- after cleaning that I do every 6 months.

Thank you for that information. When you say the water runs a lot, please explain because it should only run when filling the try;-)

Thanks

Tech Michael

also there would be a lot of water leaking is there anything like that happening?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Leaking- no- as in nothing coming out from machine- thank God.It seems the water fills and fills with occasional cubes dropping. I don't recall the bin not filling with cubes this long. Cleaning and restarting was complete Sat. Afternoon.

Thanks, ***** ***** make sounds that you would think is a filling noise but in actuality it is mechanical components trying to work properly.

After the cleaning, did it work ok at all? Or did this problem with the soft ice and not so much happen right then?

I need to know just to be sure of something.

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This soft ice and maybe two inches of ice in the bin since Sat. Late afternoon since my cleaning. 😳😫. Two inches this am not a 1/2 full or greater bin seems " struggling".
Maybe I'm too impatient. 😳

Thank you for that info ;-)

I would reset the machine ti could be a freon leak that would require service, but it may just be out of sync, as can happen with these;-)

Turn off the power to the unit until its completely defrosted. The power it back up and see how it functions but give it 24 hours it should run well again then;-)

If for any reason you see the ice soft again you will need to call a tech to check that. also if yours has a temp setting you can access you may raise that as some of the same model had this feature for a while.

I wish you the best and likely this reset will solve th eissue as it does in most cases like this.

Please rate kindly at this time, then you will ahve access to me anytime if you have further questions for me no cost to rate and then when you need me, simply reply to this message.

Have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi- should I power off for 24 hours or merely a while then give it 24 hours to see if it's fixed itself?
Thank you

Hi yep ;-)

Please rate kindly so we can remain together until we are sure this is solved.

Thanks

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Helpful - professional.
Wish it was fixed but it may need to be serviced.

Hi and thanks for the kind words. If there was any damage to the shaft then yes it will unfortunately need service.

Please rate my service at this time and have a wonderful day;-)

Tech Mike