Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

When I turn my oven on excessive heat comes out around the

Customer Question

When I turn my oven on excessive heat comes out around the door and somewhere on the cooktop because my glass S&P shakers that set on my cooktop get extremely hot. And I can't lean up against the door without feeling extreme heat burning my belly. I am short and need to lean into the door to reach the over the range micro. I have to use a thick draining pad to lean into.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If you open the door all the way, does it slope downward or stop at about a flat 90* angle. Is the door gasket visibly damaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stops flat, and no it doesn't appear that the gasket is damaged
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. When the door is shut, can you push on the door and feel any excess movement as you push the door in? That seal should be round, is it flattened on your oven? A picture of what it should look like is at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A tiny bit of movement but appears the gasket is Ok, The range was moved recently from my daughters house to mine and she RARELY used it but said it did not do this with her.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I suspect the issue is with the door gasket. The hinges could be causing it but you would notice it with the door open all the way. The only way heat is going to escape from the oven at the door is through the gasket. I would recommend replacing it. It has little metal spring clips that just pop out and push in, so it is easy to replace. The company below will allow you to return it if you still have trouble after replacing it.

CLICK HERE

As for the top getting hot, the oven vents out at the top, right in the middle, under the control panel. That is by design and is why your salt and pepper shakers are getting hot. That area is not designed to be used for storing those, that is why they vent it there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for your help and I will change the gasket. I can see how that would make sense.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, let me know how it goes. Thank you, ***** ***** rest of your weekend!