Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My washer makes a loud noise when it spins. A local

Customer Question

My washer makes a loud noise when it spins. A local technician thinks it is the bottom bearing. However when I lay it on its side and turn the pulley underneath it seems quiet. Can it be something under the drum? Can I remove the inner drum?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Turn the pump pulley, does the noise present then? You won't be able to turn the pulley fast enough to hear a bad spin bearing. Is it a low growling type noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the drum with the planetary assembly. The bottom bearing is a little loose and noisy. It could be that it has been leaking just a little water as the floor was damp under the machine. Does it take a special puller to get that bearing off or can I just drive it off with a hammer? Also, when I have the drum upside down on the floor and spin the outer shell the planetary makes a little noise, also. Is that normal? Or is that a sign of more problems?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You will need a brake tool to replace the bearing kit. The bearing is at the bottom of the tub and comes in a kit. Also, the lower pulley will probably need to be replaced. Numbers 7 & 22 at the link below.

CLICK HERE