Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I think the freezer drain is clogged. Can I access it from

Customer Question

I think the freezer drain is clogged. Can I access it from inside the freezer or do I have to take the back of the fridge?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

You need to remove the back panel inside the freezer to properly defrost and clear the line. The drain is below the evaporator panel and you can use a steamer or turkey baster with hot water to clear the line out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll give it a shot.

OK great let me know if you need anymore help and all I ask is please rate my service thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I still have water in the fridge portion of the refrigerator. I took the panel off and used a heat torch as well as hot water in the drain below the evaporator. I'm still,getting an accumulation of water below the freezer. I can't see where it is dripping from or figure out why.

COuld you get the drain to drain water? If not you may need to go behind the unit and remove the rear panel see if there is a rubber end on the drain line to the pan. If so remove it and see if it is all full of crud blocking the unit from draining into the pan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be something else, because came out of the drain tube.

Was it frozen up and do you have an icemaker? An icemaker fill tube could be causing water to leak other than that the only thing would be the defrost drain itself. It would have to be all cleared out and the ice or frost cleared out of the return vents and there should be no more water leaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I 'lol try again tomorrow.

OK sounds great, please do not forget to rate my service thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Water is still accumulating in the fridge. I've cleaned the drain. Could it be something else?

If the drain is clear the only other place water can come from would be the icemaker. Can you check that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It lasted for a week with no water. Done need a new fridge? Or is there something else we can try. We took the whole back on the fridge off etc. flushed the drain eye. Only worked for a week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do not have an icemaker

OK if that only worked for a week it is clogged again, Remove the back panel behind the unit by the compressor, find the drain tube where it enters the drain pan and see if there is a rubber piece attached to the end of it, if so clean that out really well and then defrost the line under the evaporator again. You can also install a solid copper 14 gauge wire about 2 foot down the line with it sticking out of the drain hole in the evaporator to keep it from freezing up...but that is really about it.