Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE Profile Arctica refrigerator. The label says

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile Arctica refrigerator. The label says Model PTS22LCP/PTS22SCP. I have had problems with it after an electrical storm. The mother board has been replaced more than once but a problem still occurs which does not appear to be caused by the motherboard. The freezer section is set for zero and the refrigerator section at 34. The display shows that the freezer section never reaches its set temp so the refrigerator section doesn't get cold. Actually, using an indoor/outdoor thermometer, the freezer gets to below -14 then goes into defrost mode and keeps cycling this way. The refrigerator section seems to show an accurate temperature that depend on ambient room temp. It can be from the high 40's to mid 60 degree range. Changing the set temps doesn't help. What needs to be replaced so that the freezer works properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

What are the actual refrigerator temps, 45-60?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
During heat wave it rose to mid-60's (no A/C in house). Right now at 5 AM it is 52 and was closed all night. Freezer is at -14 according to indoor/outdoor thermometer. Below this temp it just reads "Low" which happens before it goes into defrost cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not receive an earlier email.

OK check the vent from the refrigerator to the freezer is it all iced or frosted up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vents on the right side of both sections appear open. I cannot view the entire length inside the wall. I do not know how to remove the cover on the freezer back wall labeled "Climate Keeper". Where is the freezer temperature sensor and/or PC board? Would a blocked vent prevent the digital freezer temp meter from reading accurately? It seems that the freezer keeps running because the sensor doesn't see the correct temp. This seems to keep the cooling air from going into the refrigerator section.

Your unit does not appear to have a damper control so you should feel air blowing from the vent into the refrigerator section if the fan is running and blowing in the freezer, do you feel that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a little air flow into the refrigerator section from the vent on the side. I just noticed that at the rear ceiling of the refrigerator section there are 2 circular openings. The one on the left has a small opening and the one on the right is completely iced closed. Should I just turn off the refrigerator until I can get all of the ice out of these opening? How will this fix the freezer temp sensor reading? I have unplugged the unit for a few hours in the past but maybe it wasn't long enough. I didn't know about these openings.

Yes that is the issue, the ice is causing the problem completely defrost it and it should work fine!

All I ask is please rate my service thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is going to take a while. As soon as I see the fridge section cool I will rate the service. Thank you. I'll let you know if there is still a problem.

Yes no problem at all, all I ask is please rate my service when we get it fixed as that is the only way I get credit thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why did these vents totally ice up? Will this happen again i.e., is this a design flaw or should the defrost cycle also clear these ducts?

It could have been from a blockage in the defrost drain line under the evaporator. I that gets blocked water will flow into the bottom of the freezer and down the ducts icing over. Also a door left ajar overnight could also cause that issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since cleaning out the ducts everything is worse. It has been over 24 hours and nothing is frozen in the freezer. The refrigerator is at 61. I still believe that there is something wrong with the freezer digital thermometer and sensor. It shows the freezer is 31 degrees. I had to block off the refrigerator vents again to try to cool down the freezer. I took off the bottom piece of the unit to try and get more airflow to remove heat from the fan unit .I think that I need a parts breakdown and some service/troubleshooting manual information. I cannot even think about a decent rating until the refrigerator and freezer are functioning. properly.I am going away early tomorrow for 2 weeks. Hopefully, it will be working when I return. I am keeping an eye on it and trying what I can but I cannot devote any more time to this until I return.If you can think of anything else that could help please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After 2 weeks with the door closed I came home to find the refrigerator at 50 degrees and the freezer showing 24 degrees even though it was actually -10. Obviously, there is more to this than a clogged duct. I would like to speak with someone who can get me the parts breakdown and service/troubleshooting info that I previously requested. I believe that the problem still has to do with the digital freezer temp reading too high. The cooling still goes to the freezer which is too cold already instead of the refrigerator which is too warm (and this digital readout is accurate).
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Well, if the control "sees" that the freezer temperature is high, it will try to make it colder. That would indicate that the freezer sensor is faulty, at the very least. That sensor is shown as number 203 at the link below.

CLICK HERE

I would start by replacing that sensor and totally thawing the refrigerator (doors open, unplugged 24 hours) and see if the temperatures stabilize.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. This is exactly what I have been asking about. I knew that the sensor was not reading correctly. This caused the ducts into the refrigerator section to ice up again. I just emptied and unplugged it and left the doors open last night. Questions – How do I get the cover off by the sensor without breaking it? The screw is on the inside. And how does the new sensor get installed? Do I need to splice it to existing wires with wire nuts and silicon like on the other models? Are there step by step instructions or a video for my specific model? I will try to get the part from a local store this weekend.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I believe that cover slides to come off, see the picture below of the back and the tabs. As for installing the new sensor, the kit comes with new pigtail connectors for splicing.

CLICK HERE