Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

KBFC42FTS07 issue with lights when i power up display board

Customer Question

hello KBFC42FTS07 issue with lights when i power up display board lights up for a second then lights turn off on display but fridge still cools interior lights don't come on at all at any point. I suspect control board how do i determine which board controls the lights there are at least 4 boards there are 2 light/door switches one shows contuinity the left side doesnt i purchased boths switches but incase that doesnt fix problem how do i determine which board is for lights and could the display panel board be bad even tho the display lights come on for a second. thx
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

That`s easy for me any way after you have worked on hundreds of Kitchen-Aid built in refrigerators the display and the interior lights are powered from the main control board up on top of the unit.

It is the one on the left of the box and here is a link to the part.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Cntrl-Elec/W10427079/2683848?rcaid=1000070

Before ordering the part you can try rebooting the control if you have not already done that.

Turn the unit off and back on at the main switch up top turn it off for over 5 minutes then back on this may possibly reboot the control board if not then it will need to be replaced.
If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for response i did replace control board recommended and indeed lights came on thank you so much. Now the lights work however when i shut the refrigerator door for 5 mins and open them back up the lights will not come on. And when i press the door swicthes the indicator lighr says door open for some reason the board thinks door is open when it is still closed. After rebooting the fridge lights will come back on. But then the compressor wont automatically .i checked all wire and plugs everything looks as it should.Could it be another faulty control board there seems to be 3 uptop in total.?
The fridge still keeps temperature always has its the lighting thats still off and door open and close sensing. Any other suggestions

"Hello, I noticed your request for a phone call. Unfortunately, that's not something I'm able to do.
I`m an expert that works from a remote location and not in a Just Answer office.
I'm happy to continue corresponding with you here directly on your question page.

Ok if the unit is keeping temperature then the compressor has to be running! or everything would be warming up.

Ok that main control board is what gives the lights voltage when the switch is out to turn the lights on .

Where are these switches located at that you are pushing on for the door switches?

The door switches for the fresh food door are up top on the top door hinge area! make sure they are not bent so when the doors are closed that one of them is not being depressed by the hinge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door hindges do press on the switches accordingly and when door is open both release the right way. I checked both for continuity and are both good. Not sure what else to check. What else could be wrong that would make the fridge not sense when the doors are open or closes. Also at one point i closes the door but could see interior light was still on .i also depressed both switches by hand but panel still said door open.

I noticed your request for a phone call. Unfortunately, that's not something I'm able to do.

Did you also check then when the switch plunger is out that you no longer have continuity.

And when you pressed both switches and the panel said door open did the lights in fact go out inside the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i press door swithes lights do not turn off when they are on. Yet the switchs show continuity

Ok so are you testing the light switches right on the switches or where the leads attach on the main control board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the actual switch terminals also tested the wiring to make sure not broke.
I could not see where the wires from the switch end up as in which control board they plug into.

Ok the light blue. black are on P3-4

And the White/ Tan go to P4-3

And the important one from the switch is the yellow wire it is what tells the control that the switch is open .

it is on P5-2 so you can test the yellow to the White tan P4-3 that goes through the light bulbs .

And with the switch closed you can test the Yellow to the light blue /black P3-4

When you test the yellow to either the Light blue P3-4 or to the White tan P4-3 MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE P3 connector unplugged from the control board , because the P3 connector is L1 /power to the light circuit for the both the freezer section and the fresh food section

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What wilm this test determine ? And is this the new control board that the light swicth plugs into. Because am thinking if the lights plug into a different control board replace that board as well.

it is testing the wires to and from the switches to see if they are correct or not .and if the switch reads good and the wires read good then it has to be a issue with the main control board itself. and just because it is new does not mean it is good.

the light only plug into the main control board! no other board .

do you still need assistance on this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not having much success finding the cause of lights not working properly .i am still in process of going thru wire and will go back in the morning trouble shoot more

ok I had not heard back so I was just checking .

Do you have a wire diagram on the unit?

should be folded up and stuck in near the control boards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do have the shematic and will be back on location in an hour

ok no problem!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello i checked the door switches again which have continuity however when i place test on the wiring and open and close the switch nothing happens but unable to find any break in wiring. I have not found which board wires lead to they dont seem to lead to boards ontop of fridge that are easily accessable.i simply tested wires by piercing a hole on each through plastic protection

I gave you the locations of the wires on the main control board .

and if you look at your wire diagram and follow the Light blue / black and the white /tan and the yellow it also shows where the door switch wires terminate on the main control board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello I went back and worked on fridge yesterday I found two switch wires had a cut and was rubbing against a sharpe edge that's what I believe shorted out the control board. the issue is I did not discover this until I installed the new board thus I believe a part of the board Is bad. which i will check tomorrow.The one question i have is on the door switch when i test the switch directly with a tester open and close the switch blinks on and off however when i attach the wires to the switch its tests as not working i have even taken two separate wires attached to the switch and when i check for continuity it shows as the switch is faulty and the red light on the tester does not blink on and off as i depress the switch very puzzling any sugesstions

When you are testing the switch directly you could be putting just enough pressure on the switch terminal for it to show good but with wires on the switch and testing it then allows the switch to show as faulty.

I would replace that one switch anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try that and see thx

ok no problem ,good luck!