Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Jenn Aire French Door Refrig. Model number

Customer Question

I have a Jenn Aire French Door Refrig. Model number JFC2089HPY. Food in the fridge was freezing. I have recently replaced the main control board, so I thought the thermistor must be bad and replaced it. Temperature on the display says 1, the damper remains closed and the fridge is toasty warm. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

IS the damper motor getting 120 volts to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, been away on business for a few days. Yes the damper is receiving 120 volts.

The damper is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm perplexed. You asked if the damper was getting 120 volts and it is. How do you conclude the damper is bad?

The damper should be opening if it is getting 120 volts to it. The damper was the issue all along not working causing your temp problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm still perplexed. The temperature on the panel for the fridge says - 2, which is not the actual temperature in the fridge--it is closer to 50 F.
If the damper opening and closing is regulated by the temperature of the thermistor (50 F actual) then the damper should be receiving 120 volts to open the damper. The damper isn't opening, so it is malfunctioning causing the fridge to be warmer than normal. However, this doesn't explain why the temperature on the display inside the fridge is reading -2 F. Where is the temperature display reading the temperature?

If you are getting that reading on the temp display have you replaced the display board?

I had one do that and it was just a bad temp board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already replaced the display board. When I replaced the display board it produced the same readings.

So you have replaced both boards then right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the display board and the main control board.

Did you program the board to your unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the control board is programmed to the code on the inside of the fridge -- 0101.

Try to reprogram the board...make sure you save the program the display should flash after so you know it is saved then unplug the unit and plug the unit for 15 seconds and plug it back in. Let me know if the temps are still goofy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Per your direction, I have reprogrammed the board with code 0101.
I made sure the code was flashing then closed the fridge door
I disconnect the fridge and wait 15 plus seconds before plugging it back in
When I open the door the fridge temp read 5.
I manually bypassed the fridge door open/closed switches and waited for the damper to open
The damper opened and stayed open for about 3 seconds and then closed again

OK the only thing I can think of is you have the wrong thermistor in the unit. What part number thermister did you get for the refrig section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bag that the new thermistor came in says it is a Whirpool Part - 12002355. I still have the one I removed. Is is possible to test the resistance of the thermistor to see if it is defective?

Yes it should be around 2000 ohms at room temp 77 degrees.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the 20 K ohms scale it reads 8.73 K ohms. Again, this is the old thermistor.

That is way off, this could be the whole issue. It should read 2000 about unless it is really cold or really hot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it was the thermistor when I originally started troubleshooting. I have replaced the old one with the one I identified above. Did you cross check to see if the one I listed above is the correct thermistor? Are the thermistors for the freeze and fridge different?

They are the same and that is the part CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't suppose it can be reverse wired when replacing the part.

No the wires do not matter which way on a thermister, but I checked around 9K ohms would be a temp of 16 degrees just FYI

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Any thoughts on what the problem might be or what I should do?

So the freezer is ok correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the freezer is fine. Temp on the display reads 0 and the food is freezing.

OK if you want remove the freezer thermister and swap them to see, but the range you are getting on the refrig thermister is way out of range. I would get a new thermister.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be clear, the value I gave you is the value on the old thermistor. Tomorrow I will remove the new thermistor I installed and check the resistance. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just take out the refrigerator thermister and put it in a glass of ice water. It should read around 7500-8000 ohms or just leave it sit in your room and it should be around 2000 ohms. The new one you order should read around 2000 ohms before putting it in.