Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Barry, I am reading a thread on a PDS18LB you had a year

Customer Question

Hi Barry, I am reading a thread on a PDS18LB you had a year ago, and have a couple of follow on questions
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the defrost element and it is fine at 29.4 ohms, I have checked PN WR50X133 Defrost Thermostat and it shows 120 in an out during the defrost cycle, oddly it shows the same voltage when NOT in the defrost cycle. Im at a loss as to what I should check next. I'm not sure how exactly this works, as I do not see a chat window. My email is **************.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fins were a glacier when I opened it up, and the fresh food section was warm, not cold. Freezer section was fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

You need to check the defrost thermostat for continuity with the unit unplugged can you do that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was follwing the directions in a previous thread about this, and I was getting the same numbers in and out 120/120. I out the T stat in ice water for a few minutes (unplugged) and NOT in the defrost cycle I get 120 and 50 volts from one of the wires to ground on the tstat. Forcing it into defrost I get 120/ and 0. I did that earlier and got 120/120 but maybe I did not get the T stat cold enough? The ice bath shows it faulty, but is that too cold? Again, when I let the fridge run on its own for 30 minutes and then forced it into defrost it showed normal and started the defrost cycle. Not sure I am making sense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, it takes almost a full turn of the timer to force it into defrost mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugged, and what I think is closed (cold) it shows 45 ohms

SOunds like a bad defrost thermostat for sure!