Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

2009 GE Profile refrigerator Model PSB48YSXASS June 19th GE

Customer Question

2009 GE Profile refrigerator Model PSB48YSXASS
June 19th GE repairman came out and said it had frozen up. He told me to turn it off and let it thaw, which I did. He showed me a diagnostic test so that before thinking the refrigerator had totally thawed as not to freeze it up again. My refrigerator has frozen up again. Turned it off Monday, this morning the new towels were dry and assumed it was unfrozen. Turned it back on and initial temperatures were 50 fridge/1 freezer. Within 1/2 hour 57 fridge/7 freezer.
Diagnostic test- press display temp then hold all 4 fridge and freezer temp buttons, get dual 0's and press any key. Then it will run thru test-if 7 comes up, it is still frozen. Can you help? Hate to pay $89 again for repairman to come out do a 2 second test and say yes it is still frozen. Even though the dry new towels were placed in fridge thawing out last night and this morning they were dry.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

If it has frozen up again he should not charge you for another service call and there is something wrong with the defrost system or gaskets that is causing excessive frost or ice on the unit. It sounds like you have a bad sensor or defrost heater on the unit.