AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  worked on appliances for around 10 years
76126576

My maytag front load washer (model # mhwe251yL00) isn't

Customer Question

My maytag front load washer (model # *****) isn't spinning consistently / properly. It is CAPABLE of spinning because sometimes it WILL spin. But, most of the time, it won't even TRY to spin fast.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  AppTech8579 replied 1 year ago.

This would be the Electronic Control Board faulty and will need to be replaced.

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. Please let me know if you need additional assistance or have any other questions. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spins with no load but won't spin WITH a load - seems more like its sensing an out of balance?

Could be but still would be a fault within the Electronic Control Board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - any other troubleshooting / self test I should do before proceeding with a new control board?

Check the wiring to ensure that it is not damaged anywhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks. Unit is stacked (on bottom) and is installed in a tight spot - not easily accessible. I really need to make sure I have everything handy to tackle this successfully in one session. Any other parts I should have on hand just in case (I assume I can return unopened / unused parts)? Thank you again! Scott

Just the board. Not a problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks again. I won't get to it until next week but will let you know how it goes - I appreciate your help.

not a problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie, the new board should arrive by Monday, I'll swap it out mid week and then let you know / do the rating, etc. Thanks, ***** ***** weekend!Scott

Not a problem, you as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally started on the project earlier this evening. An online video for my "model number" shows the computer board at the left side behind the bottom front panel. It wasn't there. Another video for a similar model showed it inside the back panel at the top left: not there either. Finally observed it behind the control panel at the top front right - can't figure out how to access it. The dryer sits on top of the washer, maybe I need to take it off to expose screws? Anyway: I'm by myself I can't do anything else until I've got some help later in the week. Thanks again, Scott

Here is a guide to help you out. You will need to take that dryer off the top of the washer to do this repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the guide, it shows a different machine with the Machine Control Board in a different location but should help me remove the top panel. I should have asked about that before I took everything else apart ! Thanks again, I'll keep you posted! Scott

Not a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New control board installed, no difference.

Is the belt in good shape? Not loose, broken or damaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Belt looks like new, not loose. Tried to paste photo but can't. Machine runs through the diagnostic cycle perfectly. No error codes / stored error codes. Drum drains. Occasionally spins properly with a load when set on the rinse / drain / spin cycle.I said it drains properly because there's no water in the tub - but, it seems like the pump runs a lot when it seemingly has nothing to pump.Would it still complete the diagnostic cycle if the wax motor / door latch were bad?This may sound odd but this problem started occasionally and progressed to almost every time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a balance sensor and, if so, where and what does it look like?

Yes it would still complete the diagnostic. The only other parts that would cause this would be the door switch or the motor itself. Sensor is tied in with the control board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there 2 two wires on the door switch? If so can i jump them to test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all this by the way...!!

Not a problem. What was the part number of the board you installed? I don't recommend bypassing the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Sears diagram (for my machine model #) showed the original board should have been: W10373842 The original board I actually took out says: W10414759A. Sears says both have been replaced by W10459454 which is what I bought and installed. Do you think I will have any problem returning the one I bought?

You shouldn't have a problem returning it. If that did not fix the problem then Part #: W10362704 is the one you need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't buy the part you told me to, did I?

Not the correct part no but they both have the same name.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two completely different things though…. Sorry!!! The good news is I already know how to access the "washer electronic control board"....So: should my next step be to buy the correct control board like you told me about in the first place or the doorlock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again!

No problem. Do you have a multimeter to test the door lock?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't but my buddy does - we'll try that tomorrow. Listen Jamie, I really appreciate all your help – I just ordered both parts and will return whichever one I don't need.Give me until midweek and I'll be back with you and give you a great review, thank you again.

No problem. Test the door lock for continuity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do, thanks again - you're rid of me for another few days....have a great weekend. Scott

Also test the motor while you are at it.

Locate your washer's motor. There will be to wire leads connected to the motor. Disconnect the motor's two wire leads from the wiring harness. Set your multimeter to the R x 1 setting. Touch each of the meter's probes to one terminal each. Your motor should show little resistance (a reading of zero, or close to zero).

Now check the ground connection. Place one probe on the bare metal housing of the motor. Place the other probe on each terminal, one at a time. You should not receive any reading on your meter from this test.

If your washer's motor fails either of these tests, you will have to replace it.

Not a problem, that is what I am here for, Good Luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, will do that. Thank you again!

OK....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience.New motor control unit: no difference
New washer control unit: spun once first time can't repeat
New door latch: sound first time but can't repeat
Now it won't spin on the self diagnostic cycle either. I don't get it. Done for the night.

Did you test the motor?