Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years exp. repairing all types of home appliances, Computer repair
11519491

My microwave samsung model SMH9187ST will not power up.

Customer Question

My microwave samsung model SMH9187ST will not power up. nothing total blank checked outlet it has power. Is there a fuse inside the unit?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why won't it turn on
Expert:  Tech Michael replied 1 year ago.

I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.

Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.

How old is your microwave?

Also have there been any storms or power outages that you are aware of just prior to this event?

And did it fail while in use or just wouldn't work when called upon?

Any sign of life, clock etc?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit is approximately 4 yes old.
No power disruption.
Work the night before warming up leftover for dinner. In the morning noticed the clock was not on. That is when I discovered the unit had powered off. Checked the outlet it was plugged into and the outlet has power ran an extension from another working outlet still no power.The clock is not showing. No sign of life.

Thank you for that information. This could be the outlet first verify that there is actually power there by plugging something like a lamp in place of your microwave. if that is all good and the lamp etc works in that outlet then its likely the fuse inside the microwave has failed for one reason or another.

It is a special fuse "ceramic" but like the old style automotive fuses it will be near the start capacitor. once you open the cabinets screws. Many local hardware stores will have a replacement fuse but if yours doesn't let me know and I can provide a place to order one. Please don't lose the fuse you will need to bring it with you to be sure you get the correct values with respect to voltage and amperage.

A word of caution is in order here.

WARNING microwave ovens can retain a deadly charge in the large silver capacitor if the unit failed in certain ways even when unplugged for the supply outlet!!!

Its a very good idea to stay away from that capacitor and don't touch bare contact on wire ends. You will see the capacitor near the fan.

If the fuse failed due to a power surge that you may not be aware of then this may work as the fix for this. But if it still doesn't work there is likely a damaged component that we can troubleshoot with you if you have a meter for testing handy.

If you feel unsure about this it would be best to have someone who understands electronic appliances for safety reasons.

In any case please let me know how it goes. I am here please ask me about anything you may be unsure of before proceeding.

Thank you

Tech Michael

Please rate my service to you kindly before closing this page, then you will have access to me until this is solved, no additional cost to rate.