John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a 1977 Char-Glo Waste built-in gas grill with a

Customer Question

I have a 1977 Char-Glo Waste King built-in gas grill with a Johnson Controls gas shut-off valve. The pilot went out and I replaced the thermocouple. It still did not relight. I opened the controller and found the wire broken to the solenoid. I resoldered it but it still does not light. Can you tell me how to test the thermocouple, or solenoid for proper operation, and can I get a replacement for the inner parts of this controller? HG
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tech Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, When you press and hold the button to allow gas to flow, make sure you give enough time for the air to pass then the gas should flow provided the gas is turned on;-)

When you try to light at the thermocouple do you see that there is a disruption in the flame you provide coming from the port on the thermocouple?

Thank you

Tech Michael