Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

The ice maker is making ice but it will not dispense the

Customer Question

The ice maker is making ice but it will not dispense the ice. We have tried removing the tray and ice and repositioning the auger arm and it dispenses once or twice and then stops again. what is going on?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The auger may be broken in the ice bucket or the coupling on the auger motor may be stripped, a very common problem with Whirlpool models. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Frigidaire model # ***** The auger seems to be intact. Not sure about the coupler. How do I find it? Thank you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Number 10 in the diagram at the link below is the coupler that turns the auger when the motor is energized. Does it spin freely without the motor shaft moving?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Diagram below....

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. when the coupler is turned it sounds as if the shaft in the motor is turning.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. When it stops dispensing, does the motor still run, just the ice stops coming out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know that i ever hear the motor running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or have heard the ice maker motor running
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The auger motor, you stated the issue is with the auger motor that pushes the cubes out, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not dispence ice at all. When I push on the release you can hear the flap but nothing more. I've is still being made and the auger itself appears intact. Are you thinking the ice dispenser motor is shot? The frig is only two years old.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Probably not the motor but the power to the motor. Do you have a meter to test the voltage at the motor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter. What # ***** ***** motor in the diagram and how do I access it to test it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Number 18 and you have to remove the bucket and the shelf it sits on and then remove the assembly the motor is mounted to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That sounds like a project for tomorrow. Is there a test point on the motor I should look for or another diagram showing the testing point?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There are only two wires, test between those two with the door switch pressed in (taped closed) and the ice dispenser button depressed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Stay tuned.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You bet, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,We measured the voltage and it is 120v on each of the wires. So power to the ice maker seems intact. What next?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If you have voltage to the motor and it is not working, the motor is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is changing it out a job for an amature?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If you have accessed it for testing the voltage, you can replace it. There are screws in the front that secure it in place and a couple of wire terminals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll give it a go!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Keep me posted! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we took the whole thing apart and then wanted to go back to test the wires again and now it appears to be working! I will give it a day or so and see if continues. Could it be that a connection or something was lose? Seems strange.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it may have been a connection issue but the voltage test should have exposed that. In any event, at least it is now working!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Working only intermittently. I'm thinking it's probably not the motor but a bad connection somewhere. Thoughts?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I suspect you are correct, I have never seen one of these motors fail intermittently. Look at connections, especially at the door harness at the hinge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, we are still at. I twig the ice dispenser. Is there a switch that powers the motor? In the diagram what nber is it? Could that be the source of the problem?