John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Whirlpool dryer GEW9250PW1. The drum light will

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool dryer GEW9250PW1. The drum light will come on if I open the door. When I close it and press the power button, nothing happens. The door switch checks out for continuity. Any other suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dave. This could just be the thermal fuse or a broken drum belt. Can you remove the lower panel? I will let you know where to look for and test the fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt is in great shape. It seems that there is no power to the control panel. I have the lower panel off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuse by the thermister and it seemed ok. I didn't get a reading on the thermister tho.

Are you comfortable that you can do a voltage check safely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am. however i have the front off the dryer and it is unpluged

With it plugged in, check from the thermal fuse blue wire to a bare metal ground when the door is closed and the dryer is set to run and start is pressed. There should be 120vac. If there is nothing we need to go to the control and test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to reassemble the dryer first. Anything to check when it's still apart?
When the problem started, when I pushed the power button none of the panel lights came on.. Opening and closing the door and pushing the power button repeatedly, the dryer did come on and we dried one load. Since then nothing but the drum light would work.

I'm thinking we need to check the control. Sounds like it is either the control or the touch pad.

See if this works.

ACTIVATING THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE 1. Be sure the dryer is in standby mode (plugged in and all indicators off). 2. Press the following button sequence: More Time ➔ Less Time ➔ More Time ➔ Less Time – all within 5 seconds. 3. All indicators on the console are illuminated with 88 showing in the Estimated Time Remaining (two-digit) display, if this test mode has been entered successfully.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will reassemble the dryer and try the control panel again. I have a medical procedure today so wont be able to do that until tomorrow.

Okay. Be safe.