MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

Our whirlpool GT1SHTXLT01 filled the ice storage tray with

Customer Question

Our whirlpool GT1SHTXLT01 filled the ice storage tray with water.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

The icemaker has failed here- it stopped running in the fill portion of the cycle. You will need a new icemaker and water valve as the valve burned out from being energized too long; that is the only reason the water stopped running. These parts are easily replaced in 10 minutes and are on ebay for about $55 total.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Followed instructions exactly, purchased new valve from ebay for 50.00 and installed it as per instructions. Cold water in refrigerator is working as it was before this was done but ice maker still not functioning. Is not filling. Called this morning and spoke with a customer service person who stated that she had turned this over to another expert and I should have an answer shortly. No response so far.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

You did not replace the icemaker- I said it failed, so that is why it still does not work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did not read my initial information provided or did not understand what I told you. I replaced the ice maker prior to my first contact with you. The original ice maker was the one that flooded the ice storage bin. Once I installed the new one it did not fill with water so I replaced the valve as you suggested. With new ice maker and valve it is still not filling or making ice.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Is the fill tube clear and not frozen? Try blowing thru the line to see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tube is not frozen, in fact it was dry and has not refilled since new valve was added. What is the probability that something in the ice maker wiring harness failed such as what I believe is a thermal protector, when the ice maker failed and left the fill cycle open. Perhaps it was this that went out and not the valve?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

You should have continuity thru the fuse in the harness- if it's open then replace the harness as that kills power to the icemaker. I doubt that the water valve was good as it will burn up after being energized for as long as it was to fill up the bucket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The circuit is open. Have ordered a replacement wiring harness.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

That will ceratinly be it. When the icemaker stalled it overheated and opened that fuse.