MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

My Kenmore Refrigerator Water Dispenser doesn't work (Ice

Customer Question

My Kenmore Refrigerator Water Dispenser doesn't work (Ice Maker works, ) How do I fix the Water to Dispense? Model # *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Go to the back of the fridge and access the water valve. Remove the larger line off of it and place a cup under the valve. have someone hit the paddle momentarily and see if water comes out or not. This line is what feeds thru to the dispenser. Post back when you have done this and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Water line that feeds the Refer, is A 1/4" Copper compression water line with a "T" to shut off the supply to the Plastic line going into the Refrigerator(Only 1 line) feeding water. Im afraid if I force close the "T" Ill break it.Any other options?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

You are not getting the right line. You need to get to the valve ON THE REFRIGERATOR.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the past , To get the Water to dispense, I had to Open and shut the Freezer door, squeeze the handles together, Lift freezer doorand close slowly etc. all kinds of "tricky" ways but this time, nothing at all
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

That would also affect the ice dispensing and if so then the problem is with the door switch not being engaged or going bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Valve on the the Refrigerator is exactly Where sir, I just took off the Cardboard cover in the back on the bottom and I dont see no valve shut off for the REfer.Is it in the Refer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ice maker and dispensing Ice works fine, Is there a door switch problem You think?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

The valve is right on the back of the fridge- you will see the plastic lines coming off of it. The door switch is not an issue.

This valve is electrical- you are not looking for a shut-off valve here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see 2 water lines connected to the Valve, Right on top of the 2 water lines is a Green Barrel and a Red barrel looking valve, Is this the right area I'm looking for?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

yes. Do as I said earlier and remove the larger plastic line. To remove it push in and hold the small plastic piece that surrounds the line to the body of the valve and then pull it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took off the Water line, and hit the Paddle momentarily, Nothing comes out.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Do you hear the click of a switch as you press the paddle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir,Electrical power is on, And it clicked.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

At the valve take the wire off the coil for the dispenser side and remove the other wire for the icemaker valve. Put back the plastic line and remove the icemaker line. Hold the wire harness from the dispenser coil to the icemaker coil (it probably will not slip on as most have a different size terminal) .Put your cup under the valve, hit the paddle and see if water flows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Water flows sir.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

You are going to need a voltmeter now as there is no power getting to the valve, so there is an electrical issue here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I just buy a new Valve and take a chance that that is the Problem? Im by myself.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

No, the valve is not getting power so I cannot say that it's the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, In your opinion,I understand that to troubleshoot you need to go through the process of ilimination, but as far as you can tell, where do you think the malfunction lies?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

In the dispenser area. May be a bad switch or connection. This is true as long as the ice dispensess like you said it did.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you said dispenser area, do you mean where the paddle for the water?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

yes. all the parts are above the paddles behind the facade.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Direct me please,how do I access the facade.?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

It snaps off if you pry it at the bottom- there are 2 small slots to pry at.

I will have to continue this tomorrow as I am calling it a night, so I will reply accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks , for all your advice.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
ok. A rating is appreciated for the help given or we can continue once you have a meter. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks , for now Ill probably wait until this weekend, I work log hours at inconsistant times. I'll get back to you when I have a tester. Thankyou sir.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

ok