Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE Profile two door with bottom freezer. Two weeks

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile two door with bottom freezer. Two weeks ago we lost two hundred dollars of food when I came home from a vacation and the freezer temp was 45, fridge temp was 65. I unplugged the unit for about 30 minutes to clean it out. Then when I plugged it back in, it eventually returned to the set temps (37 and 0).
Today it is rising again. On the day before I returned home two weeks ago my so reported hearing beeping, but wasn't sure it was the fridge. Today I heard two beeps, but I was in another room, so again I can't say for sure it was the fridge. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of answer is this? Of course I do. You just charged my card the remaining $32 because I thought there was an answer!!!

I am a tech on the site and saw your question was 3 hours old so I was just making sure you still needed help. Is the unit warm now or is it still cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I unplugged it the plugged it in 3 hours ago and the refrigerator is holding steady at 37-38. But the freezer will not go below 16-17.

Ok if the freezer is that warm is the fan running in the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan seems to be running

OK if the freezer will not cool past 16 degrees you have something wrong with the sealed system. Either the unit is low on freon due to a leak or the units compressor is not running correctly. This is a big issue and common on that unit. This will require freon testing equipment and is generally not a DIY project I am afraid to say.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thank you. But as I originally said, this happened in both the fridge and freezer two weeks ago but reset to correct temps when I plugged it in. Is it normal to be intermittent like this?

This could be an issue with the condenser fan causing that problem or a blocked up condenser as well.