Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in appliance repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses in England.
15468697

Why is my 2+ year old French Door / bottom freezer

Customer Question

why is my 2+ year old French Door / bottom freezer developing ice on the floor of the freezer compartment?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
What this will be done to is a blocked drain gutter inside the freezer.
What you need to do is either remove the freezer door and remove the baskets in there.
Then remove the ice maker unit from the top in the freezer and then from there remove the back panel in side the freezer.
There you will see the evaporator, Under this is the drain gutter. This will be covered in ice. You need to pore boiling water in there and melt all the ice in there.
Then in the gutter you will see the drain hole. Again pore boiling water in there and poke something in there to fully clear it. Then test it by poreing water in there and make sure it drains away ok.
Once clear refit the panels and then you can close the door as normal and this will be fine from there.
But if you dont want to go removing panels then what you need to do is empty the freezer and turn the appliance off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours. Place towels in there and the ice in there will melt itself and clear the drain hole.
Then afte the defrost this will be back to normal from there.
Try the above and see how it goes. But from what you say this is a blocked drain hole in the gutter thats the issue here.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no ice maker on this unit, thus no water supply involved. I have removed the ice that formed and there is no visible drain in the freezer compartment.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok if theres no ice maker on this model then that makes it easyer.
Did you remove the back panel inside the freezer?
As thats were the drain gutter is. You need to remove the back panel in the freezer and behind there is the evaporator. Under the evaporator is the drain gutter. you need to clear the ice in there and then you can see the drain hole there.
Regards