John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Maytag Maxima steam washer door is locked and will not

Customer Question

My Maytag Maxima steam washer door is locked and will not open. The control/lock light is on as well. There was an error code about water supply but I can't even turn the washer on even after unplugging and plugging back in. Any help would be great thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Can you hear any noise when it is plugged in like a humming?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
humming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a load of laundry in it also

Has it been at least 10 minutes? I will be away for a few hours but will get back as soon as possible

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since last night, unplugged overnight and still the same humming and issues I described above

Sorry for the delay. Lets do the manual door unlock. Remove the washer top. Unplug the washer. Remove the few screws at the back of the top panel and then you lift up and pull back and lift off. Reach down on the right side inside the washer at the front at the latch. There is a small ring that will release the door when you pull it up. Remove your clothes and try the washer again. It might relock and it might also try to drain again for 10 minutes. Sometime it takes a few times to reset but you won't need any parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a front load washer. Does this make a difference on how you get to manual pull?

No, I knew it was front load. The newer front load Maytags don't have a lower front panel so you need to take off the top. It is easy as long as the dryer is not stacked on top.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well of coarse mine is stacked LOL. Ok will wait til I can get some man power for help. Thanks!

Ouch!