Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My 4.5 cu. ft. compact refrigerator, Model MCDR450 won't

Customer Question

My 4.5 cu. ft. compact refrigerator, Model MCDR450 won't turn on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You either have a faulty thermostat that is not applying voltage to the compressor or the overload protector is open. Do you have a meter to test the voltage to the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. It's been busy at school! I will check with one of my colleagues tomorrow to see if he has a meter and will get back to u asap. How do I check if the protector is open in the meantime?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, can the thermostat go bad really fast? It worked when I plugged it in, then I unplugged it to let it air out for a few hours and when I plugged it in again it wouldn't work.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is just a set of electrical contacts. Tap on the control with a screwdriver handle, any difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the tip. I was unable to see my colleague about the meter. I will check with him on Monday, the 17th. I will also do as you suggested on Monday and let you know what happened. Don't mean to sound stupid, but where are the thermostat controls located?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

On that one, it is inside the refrigerator section, in the front, upper right hand corner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for prompt reply! I'll go to school tomorrow and try the screwdriver.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the screwdriver to the thermostat but it doesn't work. How would we test using the meter?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If you can post a picture of the wires at the compressor, I can show you where to test. There are two wires and maybe a run capacitor there. The testing would be between the neutral and the line voltage wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll send a picture shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, plenty meetings after school!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The part that is mounted behind the compressor with the two black wires is a run capacitor. Test the wires that are not going to that capacitor under the cover on the compressor for 120 VAC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, my colleague went home for the weekend (we get Friday off because it is Statehood Day). I will ask him to help me on Monday!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That will be just fine, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly I'm still trying to find a voltage meter. Will try again tomorrow
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You bet, no problem. Please disregard any automated messages you may receive, I have no control over those. Any message from me will be in this thread only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok my colleague promised me tomorrow he'll bring the meter. Just to keep u posted.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

No worries, thank you!