Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Viking VCBF136RSSO refrigerator, freezer on the

Customer Question

I have a Viking VCBF136RSSO refrigerator, freezer on the bottom. Sometime after I changed the water filter, I noticed I had no ice. I'm not sure it happened right after the filter change. After googling the issue, I read that I might have introduced an air bubble and caused the hose to freeze when I changed the filter. So I tried defrosting the entire refrigerator for a day -- turned it back on, still no ice.
So then I called a repairman, he took a face plate off the ice assembly, put some sort of wire in a couple holes (to activate it, I guess), and said "the motor is trying to move, but it can't" -- and therefore he said the whole icemaker needed to be replaced. Does this sound right? I could see a wheel making small turning movement, but then stopping. The icemaker for this refrig is a $450 part!! Is there anything else I should check (he didn't). What about the icemaker arm? Is it possible to replace a part of the assembly instead of the whole thing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Unless the "fingers" that eject the cubes are frozen, the module will likely need to be replaced. That refrigerator is actually made by Whirlpool, Viking does not make refrigerators. They only source from other manufacturers and brand it with the Viking name. The module is easy to replace, only three screws hold it in place and it simply unplugs and plugs in. The Whirlpool module is available below.....for less than $70.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Icemaker-Module/W10190935/1469018?rcaid=1000054
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That will be great if its only the module and not the whole assembly.
Do I need to disconnect the refrigerator in order to replace the module (it's a built in, so I can't see or reach the plug. But I guess I can just turn it off at the breaker if necessary....)thanks!Thanks!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You can turn the breaker off, that will be easiest.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Make sure the "fingers" are not frozen in ice, that is pretty common and can cause the motor not to move. If the fingers are not pointed up, the module is broken. YOu will usually see a broken tab in the center of that big gear on the module when they break.