MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

I have a Whirlpool side by side model ED5VHGXM015 and the

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool side by side model ED5VHGXM015 and the serial number is ***** The freezer is cold but the fridge is not. Already located a blockage of frost in the duct that goes between the freezer and fridge. I also found the drain line inlet was clogged. I have an even sheet of frost on the coils, the fan is working, and all of the air passages are open. The dividing wall between the freezer and the fridge is very hot...like you can't hold you hand on it for long hot. I have a multimeter, but I'm not very proficient with it. I think I need to test the thermostat on the coil, but I'm not sure exactly how to pull that off. Might you be able to help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

the fan draws air across those coils and blows it through the air inlet ..there shouldnt be a lot of frost on the coil ..but if your center divider is really hot , look to the rear of the fridge ,the fan by the compressor most likely isnt running ,that will cause everything to run hot and will affect the temps ..if that fan is stopped it may run if you give it a little push but it should be replaced

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'll go check that right now. Please stand by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan is running and I just looked inside of the freezer. The coils now have a lot of frost on them, but the center divider has cooled down significantly.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

did the fan start up when you moved the fridge ? if the fan by the compressor is binding or slow to start the center divider gets very hot ,that is one of the symptoms if that fabn stops

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know if you received my last message. Almost positive the fan has been running the whole time. Think it might be the defrost timer? Is there a way to test it?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

the defrost timer or defrost thermostat will cause excessive frost on the coil but they wont cause that center divider to be really hot ,we are talking about the right fan ..there is one above the coild and then there is one at the rear of the fridge beside the compressor ..just making sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You still there?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

yes ,im here

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

timer is not resettable , and thermostat can be checked for continuity after it gets cold , but that center divider being hot is what makes me think its a different issue over a defrost problem

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

has the fridge started to cool and the center divider is now warm over hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both fans are working as they should. Freezer is staying cold, fridge not cooling at all, it almost room-temperature in there. Center divider is barely warm now. Why is there no cold air coming out of the freezer into the fridge?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

you checked both openings? air comes in thru the top and returns to the freezer at the bottom ,beside the crispers ..there should only be a lite frosting of the coil ..it shouldnt be a heavy build up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all vents are open with no obstructions. When the freezer door is open, you actually feel a small amount of cold air coming from the freezer, but once the freezer door closes, no more breeze. I've also turn the selector knob to warmest for the freezer to open that vent further. Still nothing. I'm really surprised you haven't been able to pinpoint a solution yet. No offense, just surprised.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

ok ill opt out ..im trying to determine a solution and not guess , dont rate me ..its not always black and white ,im not there and if you want a quick answer , im not your guy

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for checking back in with me, it means a lot. I figured out what the issue was and it was what I thought it may have been in the beginning. I have a faulty electronic defrost control board. I figured it out. Although Randy 43 was there and shared some very general knowledge, I really didn't get any closer to the solution during our entire conversation. Thanks again for checking in on me.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I rate two 'experts'?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

no need to leave any rating here as you figured it yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two days ago you said not to leave you a rating since I figured the issue out for myself, however I am continuing to receive messages to leave you one. Can you please address this on your end? Thx.