Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Have new JGB630DEF2WW GE Gas Oven converted from NG to LP.

have new JGB630DEF2WW GE Gas... Show More
have new JGB630DEF2WW GE Gas Oven converted from NG to LP. All works OK except for the broiler. First try and it ignited at the LP orifice. Closed down "air mixer" and then smelled gas and would light and instantly go out upon opening the oven door.
What is the issue.
Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
No need for live call. Email is fine.
replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! It sounds like the orifice hood may have been tightener a bit too much. When it lights, is the flame about 1.5-2" long? Can you post a picture of the flame at the broiler burner?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
No flame at the broiler burner. Only at the orifice. If I close the oven door and then open quickly a short flame will light at the broiler then it lights at the orifice. I cannot get a picture but the flame is a blue flame that I cannot see the tip/end of it but I would guess it is about the 1.5 - 2" long.Is it as simple as unscrewing the broiler LP orifice a few turns?
Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago.

Is the broiler burner sitting correctly over the orifice?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
As far as I can tell. I did get a couple of pictures attached. One is not lit and the other is with the orifice lit.

Open the orifice hood a little bit at a time, like 1/4 turn, does it increase the flame to the burner? Are the other flames okay and get plenty large?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
When you say open the orifice hood does that mean unscrew the orifice a bit or are you talking about what I would call the "air mixer"? In the pictures, the silver component that allows more air to mix w/gas.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
all other burners and oven flames are fine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Just the broiler that is a problem.

The little brass orifice, I believe it takes a 1/2" wrench.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
OK. I loosened it a turn or better and the flame is further away from the orifice. Do I just continue to loosen until the actual broiler burner lights?

Yes, try it 1/4 turn at a time until the flame is out of the burner holes about 1.5". Just be sure to go slow as you open it. If you are careful, you can leave it lit and slowly turn the orifice but keep out of the flame area.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
I need to go to meeting. Do I just log in and update you as I proceed tomorrow or when I can get back to it? I think I loosened it to far to fast and need to start over but don't have time to right now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Any tricks as to a starting point. That is, if I start with it snug, loosen 5 turns or some such thing?

Well, it is designed to be ample gas for LP with the hood screwed all the way down. So, if it took more than a full turn, it has other issues.