Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a garage fridge that doesn't cool anymore. The lights

Customer Question

I have a garage fridge that doesn't cool anymore. The lights and fan work but the compressor doesn't seem to?? The fridge is only 3 years old, and coincidentally, the last fridge we had out there the same thing happened to it. I was wondering what the problem was and if it could be related to the outlet??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it's possible the outlet is shorting something. Does the outlet connect to a GFI at all?

Is the compressor warm or cold? Do you hear the compressor making a click or buzzing type of noise?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No gfi, I replaced the outlet, after the last fridge broke, it was a gfi, and an electrician friend told me to replace it

Good deal.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It clicks and kind of buzzes, I curre have it u
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I currently have it unplugged

Unplug it. Remove the start device on the side of the compressor. Shake it. Does it sound like glass is inside? Do you have a volt/ohm meter?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what it looks like??

It's the white box on the left side of the compressor. It's most likely going to be the culprit. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this it??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or this??

That's the control. You will need to have an authorized technician come out and take the relay off and test it and the compressor with a multimeter. It's the only way to diagnose this unit.