Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE profile spectra electric range/oven not working. Burners,

Customer Question

GE profile spectra electric range/oven not working. Burners, clock & timer work. Keeps flashing oven door locked. Only able to open oven door by lifting cooktop & manually turning latch. Unable to turn oven or broiler on just flashes" door." What do you
think is wrong? It happened after a fire on one front burner. r
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to agree to 3 month trial b/4 getting an answer?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. The door latch assembly will likely need to be replaced. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model number is:JBP48w0B5ww . Not sure if the 0 is zero or the letter oSerial number is :AO2392750.
The wire are cloth covered like the old fashioned irons had cloth covered cords. I removed the small cover to the door latch area on top of stove.It looks like there is a small gash out of one of the cord/ wires. Not sure that it is deep enough to do any damage. Thank you so much for your response, Kelly, & I;m hoping that the door latch assembly is something that I can do. I'm looking forward to getting this taken care of.Hopefully that is all that is needed.
Lee
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If the wire is intact, the new latch should restore function.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly,
Thanks for the info. The part was out of stock @ the site you suggested so I ordered it from Sears Parts & hopefully it's something that I can install without too much trouble. Will there be directions with it or will I need to search the internet for that? IS there an easy way to clean under the burners by unscrewing the top & lifting it or would that mess up the control module on back part of stove?
Again thanks for the help.
Lee
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Glad you found the part available! It is pretty straight forward to replace, there are just a few screws securing it to the range body. Just remove one wire at a time and you should have no trouble installing the new one. The top will lift up for cleaning, there is no problem with it doing anything to the controller. You are just wanting to raise the top, not the panel under it, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I was talking about the panel underneath but think I'll skip it.
Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, you won't want to remove that part....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks again.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You bet, thank you!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!