Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an older (but very lightly used) Maytag range - model

Customer Question

I have an older (but very lightly used) Maytag range - model MER5755QAW. This past weekend, the oven malfunctioned. I tried to set it to "bake" at 325ºF. This normally takes a few minutes to heat up to the setting, then all works as expected. This time, the rise in temp was extremely slow. After a delay of 1½ hours, it would not get hotter than 285ºF. Although not particularly dirty, I ran the automatic cleaning cycle and that seemed to work fine. What is the most likely thing I should try, and what is going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the self clean cycle works, that means that all your fuses are working properly and it means that your your broil element is working since self clean uses the broil element. It sounds like your bake element has just failed and needs to be replaced. During preheat the broil element is turned on 30% of the time to heat the oven quicker but the bake element is supposed to be on 100% of the time. If the bake element doesn't turn on, then the oven will cap out at about 280 degrees or so and never get warmer no matter how long you leave the unit on. Either way, below is a link to the bake element you'll need to order for your model. number.

CLICK HERE for bake element

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?